Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the contact information for City Hall?
Phone: (401) 435-7500 Mail: 145 Taunton Avenue, East Providence, RI 02914
2. What hours is City Hall open to the public?
City Hall is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday
3. Where can I get leaf bags?
Leaf bags may be purchased from the Department of Public Works, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall.
4. I have a question about street trees, who do I call?
The Parks Division is responsible for the planting, care and maintenance of trees in parks, playgrounds, conservation areas and streets.
5. Where can I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?
Copies of birth and death certificates may be purchased at the office of the City Clerk, located on the 1st floor of City Hall.
6. Who do I call if my trash or recyclables have not been picked up?
For questions/problems with trash and recyclables pickup, call 435-7710.
7. Does the City pick up appliances?
Yes, please call 435-7710 to schedule a pickup.
8. Who can I call about pothole and other street repairs?
Call the Highway Division at 435-7751.
9. I want to make some home improvements, do I need a building Permit?
Building permits are required for structural, electrical and plumbing improvements. Permits are not required for painting. Please contact the Building Inspection Office at 435-7722 to determine what, if any, permit is required.
10. Who should I call about a loose animal on my property?
Call the Police Department at 435-7600.
11. What are the current Tax and Water rates?
|Residential Real Estate
||$20.74 per $1000 tax valuation
|Commercial Real Estate
||$22.94 per $1000 tax valuation
||$51.19 per $1000 tax valuation
||$37.10 per $1000 tax valuation
Phase Out $500
||$2.85/100 cubic feet
|Minimum Water Charge
||$31.66 up to 1,111 cubic feet
||$7.78/100 cubic feet
after the first 875 cubic feet
12. Can I pay my taxes online?
The City currently takes online payments for Water Utility and Tax bills. Please have your bill available and click here to make a payment.
Please note there is a convenience fee for paying online.
13. How can I get a new recycling bin?
Damaged bins can be exchanged once a month at no charge. Lost or stolen bins can be replaced for a $5 fee per set. Call 435-7710 for the next date and location. (Additional Recycling Information)
14. Where do I get information about what I do in a snow or hurricane emergency?
There is information posted on the State of RI Emergency Management web site http://www.riema.ri.gov that applies in general and also to the City of East Providence.