Salary Range $135,000-$160,000 commensurate with experience
Copy of PRINT AD:
The City Manager appointed by the City Council serves as chief administrative officer for a diverse suburb of Prov. RI with 28 sq. miles ranging from urban to suburban characteristics. Growth and development opportunities abound creating a positive challenge for this position. Ideal candidate possesses accomplishments in waterfront development; water resource management and technological initiatives. The new Manager will provide exceptional leadership and a collaborative and engaging management style throughout the city organization and with interactions with the City Council and the highly engaged community. An MBA/MPA or related field w/min. 3yrs experience in a mgmt. level position in either the public or private sector. Strong financial acumen and budgeting experience is required as is experience with economic development. A salary range of $135K - $160K based on experience and qualifications along with a benefits package will be discussed during candidate interviews. Send resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 22, 2015. Included with your resume should be a cover letter expressing how your interest and accomplishments align with the needs of the City of East Providence. More detailed information is available at www.eastprovidenceri.net. AA/EOE.
Only those candidates residing in the northeast region will be considered at this time.
Qualifications-per City Charter section 3.1
The City Manager shall be chosen by the Council on the basis of executive and administrative qualifications, with special reference to prior experience in, or knowledge of, accepted practice with respect to duties of the office as hereinafter set forth. In addition, the City Manager shall be a graduate of an accredited four-year college or university, with a master's degree in public administration, business administration, or a related field. The City Manager shall have at least three (3) years of actual experience in a management level position in either the public or private sector. Such experience must include positions with responsibility in any of the following areas: Finance, Planning, Personnel, Public Works, Public Safety, Economic Development or their equivalent. At the time of appointment, the City Manager need not be a resident of the City or State, but shall during the tenure of office, the City Manager shall reside within a fifteen (15) mile radius of the City.
Duties-per City Charter section 3.3
The City Manager shall be the Chief Executive Officer and the head of the administrative branch of the City government. The Manager shall be responsible to the Council for the prior administration of all affairs of the City and to that end he shall have power and shall be required to:
(1) Appoint and, when necessary for the good of the service, remove all officers and employees of the City except as otherwise provided by this Charter and except as he may authorize the head of a department or office to appoint and remove subordinates in such department or office, making appointments and promotions in the service of the City according to merit and fitness;
(2) Prepare the budget annually and submit it to the Council and be responsible for its administration after adoption;
(3) Prepare and submit to the Council as of the end of the fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City for the preceding year;
(4) Keep the Council advised of the financial condition and future needs of the City and make such recommendations as may seem to him desirable;
(5) Perform such other duties as may be prescribed by this Charter or required of him by the Council, not inconsistent with this Charter.
Resumes to be submitted to email@example.com or by mail to East Providence City Hall, Attn: Kathleen Waterbury, 145 Taunton Ave., East Providence, RI 02914 by July 22, 2015.
Click here to download advertisement