PAYROLL CLERK/COLLECTION CLERK
Paygrade 32 / 15509 ($39,879-$47,189)
Performs a variety of technical, clerical duties involved in the processing of the City's payroll, to include calculating all wage assignments, reconciling payroll against submitted department time sheets, and calculating and remitting all applicable withholding liabilities. Work also includes preparing quarterly and annual federal and state payroll reporting returns and researching all applicable federal, state and local tax laws. Incumbent is also responsible for the collection of delinquent tax and water bills. The Incumbent will report to Finance.
Illustrative Examples of Work
Essential Duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all duties as assigned.
- Prepares and processes all payroll transactions necessary for issuance of City bi-weekly payrolls;
- Checks authorization documents for completeness and accuracy;
- Enters, updates and maintains payroll database system to include personnel changes to reflect step increases, transfers, promotions, and other status changes;
- Processes payroll deduction checks;
- Maintains payroll files including employee status forms, payroll register, check register, completed worksheets, payroll deductions register, W-4 withholding certificates, credit union and bank deduction authorizations, savings bond authorizations, union dues, and united fund cards. Generates deduction checks for State and Federal taxes, Social Security, Retirement and Insurance. Creates computer tape for transfer of savings bonds and ICMA Pension Contribution;
- Prepares quarterly tax returns for IRS and Department of Employment Security. Prepares reports for the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Municipal Employees Retirement System and others as required;
- Checks all computer and manual report date for accuracy. Answers questions and resolves problems associated with pay;
- Makes recommendations for improvements to payroll procedures;
- Answers in person and telephone requests regarding water billings, explains tax bills, water bills, receives and posts payment;
- Follows up on delinquent water bills, makes arrangements for collection of delinquent accounts, and refers hardship cases to loan agencies and community action agencies. Coordinates with Water Division on the shut off and maintenance of delinquent accounts;
- Accepts and processes payments from the public for tax bills, water bills, and special assessments;
- Verifies cash, checks, and receipts. Balances cash drawer daily to computerized total and prepares daily deposit;
- Answers frequent telephone requests for detailed information regarding tax billing/procedures, interest charges, tax sales, water billings, etc;
- Enters and manipulates data using computer workstations. Researches and prepares certified municipal lien requests. Maintains/creates office records.
Receives general to limited supervision. Assignments are standard task assignments which the incumbent performs independently. Difficult problems are referred to the supervisor or senior personnel for resolution but as experience is gained, incumbents are expected to exercise considerable independence and initiative in daily activities. Work is reviewed for overall adequacy.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of ADP software system, thorough knowledge of payroll rules, regulations, procedures, programs, and system requirements including knowledge of tax, pension and other deductions and ability to calculate the same. Prior municipal experience. Able to learn new operating systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Good knowledge of business procedures; proficiency in business arithmetic; strong written and verbal communication skills. Competence in computer applications is required.
Considerable knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of processing of payroll is required. This position requires a High school diploma or GED equivalency, a minimum of two (2) years' experience in payroll processing and working with a computerized system. Or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the desired knowledge, skill and ability. Cash handling experience required.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work in a variety of physical positions, including sitting, bending, stretching, and standing for extended periods, and walking. The employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear.
The employee is frequently required to use hands, handle or feel. The employee must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting and/or moving light objects up to ten (10) pounds.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to noise levels normally found in an office environment.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Consideration and preference will be given to internal candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Please submit application and resume to the City of East Providence, Human Resources Department, 145 Taunton Avenue, East Providence, RI, 02914 or email to email@example.com Application and resume must be mailed or emailed directly to Human Resources in order to be considered for this position by Friday, January 27, 2017 by 4:00 p.m.
The City of East Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services.
Application for Employment